Saturday, December 31, 2011

Egg Nog Muffins

Anyone who knows me, knows that I despise eggnog. In all fairness the only type of milk that I like is soy milk. But there is something about eggnog that makes me gag. It's thick and awkward and just not my cup of tea. That being said, I wanted to bake. I needed to bake. It's New Years Eve after all, and I had no plans and was bored. I had a limited amount of butter and really didn't want to risk waking my family up by using a mixer. Thus, eggnog muffins were born.

You'll need:
-2 and 1/4 cup flour
-1 cup sugar
-1/2 cup butter
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon cinnamon (or nutmeg)
-2 whole eggs
-1 cup eggnog
-1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 375. Line cupcake pan with liners, or spray with a no-stick cooking spray. I prefer liners. Muffins deserve to wear pants too.

In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon.

 This would be a good time to melt the butter, and let it cool. Whisk together the dry ingredients while the butter melts.

In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, eggs, butter and eggnog. If you're a clean as you go cook like I am leave the eggnog out. You might need it later.

Add the wet to the dry and stir it around. Don't use a defective whisk, it makes life much more difficult.
 I didn't have enough wet for my dry (this is why it is important to use the proper types of measuring cups while baking) so I added splashes of eggnog until it got to a good consistency.

This is about what you want. Somewhere between brownies and cake. Unless you like lighter muffins, because these babies are dense. If you like your muffins fluffy, add more eggnog until you get the consistency you like.

Pour batter into muffin liners and bake for 15-20 minutes. My first batch took 18, the second took 15. It all depends on your oven.

Remove from the oven and let cool on a cooling rack (a spare baking sheet works well too).
Since they are such dense muffins, they would be good with a glass of eggnog or milk on the side. Enjoy them for breakfast, or as a late night snack.

Enjoy, and Happy New Year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment